The department also offers a major and minor in Statistics to post graduates and undergraduates of various health science courses. The department has state of the art computational facility and have statistical software's SPSS, Stata and SAS.
This year, the department will be organizing the National Workshop on Statistical Epidemiology from August 1st to August 5th. The main objective of this workshop is to introduce the various concepts of statistical inference, statistical modeling techniques, construction of prediction equations and other methodological issues involved in the analysis of epidemiological data. This course is also intended to provide computational aspects, develop skills in presenting results effectively and to improve the participant's ability to interpret the findings.
- Overview of epidemiological designs
- Summarization of epidemiological data
- Concept of estimation and testing of hypothesis in epidemiological studies
- Investigate confounding and interaction in epidemiological data using stratified analysis
- Statistical modeling of epidemiological data based on
- Cross sectional studies
- Case control studies (Unmatched & Matched studies)
- Cohort studies (count data, time to event) and
- Nested case-control studies
- Construction of prediction equations
- Calculation of sample size in epidemiological studies
- Analysis of diagnostic tests
- Quality of epidemiological data and related issues
This workshop is targeted for biostatisticians, researchers from various professions such as epidemiology, medicine, public health, life science, nursing, pharmacy, and allied health sciences, who has interest over epidemiological studies.
Requirement: Candidates should have basic knowledge of statistics, epidemiological methods and some statistical softwares such as SPSS or Stata.
Venue: Department of Statistics, Level-6, Health Science Library Building, Manipal University.
No. of participants: Limited to 30 and selection is purely on first cum first served basis.
Course Fee: Rs. 5,000/- for each participant. This will include course material, lunch and tea. The fees should be paid by crossed demand draft drawn in favour of “Manipal University” payable at MANIPAL or UDUPI.
Deadline for receiving application 1st July, 2011.
Filled registration form along with registration fees should be sent to
Dr. N. Sreekumaran Nair
Professor & Head,
Department of Statistics
Level-6, Health Science Library Building
Manipal University, Manipal
Karnataka, India 576104
Phone: 0820 - 2922407
For more details contact: Dr. B. Binukumar
Mobile: 09448182006; Off: 0820 - 2922407