The other day I was looking in the mirror, and discovered that I had gained some unwanted inches. I felt like cutting off my mouth. But I decided that I dislike pain worse than I dislike fat. At first. I thought that I was just hungry all the time. But, I read an article in the New Woman Magazine that explained it to me. The article explained that different feelings such as sadness, fatigue, anxiety, boredom, anger, and frustration cause people to be overweight.
It said almost everyone (except skinnies) handle those feelings by eating. People of normal weight occasionally comfort themselves by eating while over-weight people almost always handle their unhappy feeling by eating.
Below are Seven ideas of things to do, (besides eat) when you're hungry.
- If you are tired during the day, take a nap rather than eat.
- Go to bed earlier. You consume no calories while sleeping. And it shows you that you can go for about eight hours without eating,
- Don't sit and just watch television. Do something with your hands while you're watching T.V. Such as sewing, lifting weights, tearing books which you don't like!
- Physical activity can do many things such as: burn off calories, reduce tension, lessen boredom, make you feel good about yourself, and reduce "nervous " hunger,
- Take a bath instead of eating. Try a hot bath, a shower or a sauna. Or even sit in a chair with your legs elevated and a cool cloth on your face You will find this very helpful in relaxing yourself.
- When you feel lonely or bored, call or visit a friend. Keep a list of friends to visit or call in case one is not home.
- Develop a list of instant non-eating activities. Things you can do without any advance notice. Go to a movie, go shopping, tour a zoo, read a book, do whatever turns you on. But, the idea is to stay busy.
The main thing is to realize that boredom causes overweight. Admit to yourself that you are bored. Say it out loud, then do something about it.