There would have been no historic wonders like Taj Mahal, Coliseum of Rome and the Great Wall of China or modern masterpieces like the London Bridge and Howrah Bridge if there were no civil engineers. The Civil engineering course deals with planning, designing, constructing, maintaining, and operating infrastructures while protecting the public and environmental health as well as improving existing infrastructure. The course also teaches the development of better infrastructural facilities to sustain an eco-friendly environment. Civil engineering course is offered both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Main Course subjects consists of:-
• Civil Engineering Materials
• Construction Management
• Construction Practices
• Elements of Surveying
• Engineering Geology
• Environmental Engineering
• Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics
• Introduction to Transportation Engineering
• Soil Mechanics
Civil Engineering In Manipal Institute Of Technology, Manipal:-
Civil Engineering dept. was established in the year 1957 with the inception of Manipal Institute of Technology. In the 60 years of its glorious existence, the Civil engineering dept. has evolved into one of the most matured and full fledged departments in the institute.
The course curriculum has been designed aptly to cater to the ever expanding demands of research and industry, by zealously congregating the views of all stake holders. The department upholds excellent interaction with reputed academics in specialized areas, and also with industry professionals at national and international levels.
The department has created a platform for exchanging the research ideas by organizing National Level conferences, workshops, seminars, from time to time. The department ardently fosters the industry-academia collaborations by conducting specialized and invited guest lectures by eminent industry professionals. Department has got accreditation by National Board of Accreditation in the year 2001 for a period of 5 years and 2008 for a period of 3 years.
Programs offered in Manipal Institute of Technology in Civil Engineering Background:-
(A) Undergraduate Program :- B.Tech. in Civil Engineering (Started in 1957)
(B) Post Graduate Programs :-
(1)M.Tech. in Construction Engineering and Management (1989)
(2)M.Tech. in Structural Engineering(1992)
(3)M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering(2010)
Scope in Civil Engineering
A career after civil engineering is highly rewarding. There are jobs that involve supervision, construction, design and analyzes of private as well as public projects, such as dams, highways, canals, water sewages and bridges. The profession demands excellent skills for both administration and supervision of projects. Excellence and responsibility are important factors associated with the job. In other words, whenever you see or read about any popular landmark in the world (iconic works like Golden Gate Bridge, The Gateway of India, Burj Khalifa, etc.), there is a civil engineer involved in its construction. Isn’t it interesting!
• The construction and infrastructural development projects including town planning are on the rise in the coming days and will demand more domain specialists.
• In search of comfortably safe homes, better roads and standardised living, the demand for civil engineers are to raise more.
There are several fields in this branch, which will offer maximum scope. These include:
- Designing: For finding a designing career in civil engineering, excellent academic record and experience is important. Knowledge of civil engineering software such as AutoCAD, Staad Pro, AutoTum, and TopoCAD makes you more employable.
- Construction: Job as a project or construction engineer offers career opportunities in construction field, including road and industrial construction. It is considered a challenging job and includes execution of mega projects at different levels.
- Planning: If you possess excellent planning skills, choosing a career in planning or project management is a good option. Planning engineers find huge demand in construction companies. Knowledge of software such as MS Project and Primavera can be helpful in this field.
- ”Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines” by R.K.Bansal (Laxmi Publishers)
- ”Surveying and Leveling, Vol. 1 and 2” by B.C.Punmia ( Laxmi Publishers)
- ”Limit State Method of Design of Steel Structures” by S.K.Duggal (Tata McGraw Hill)
- ”Environmental Engineering Vol 1 and 2” by S.K.Garg (Khanna Publishers)
- ”Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering” by B.C.Punmia (Laxmi Publishers)
- ”Highway Engineering” by S.K.Khanna and Justo (Nemchand and Bros)